100 years of

Membership and Benefits

"Our members are our heart and soul"

The first meeting was held October 6; 1921, in the studio of Edmonton's only professional artist, William Johnstone. The jury which chose the Club's charter members was composed of Miss Nellie Brown, Mr. E. De Hart, Dr. R.B. Wells, Mr. J.A. Adamson and Professor James Adam. They selected 14 charter members: Miss Berangere Mercier, Miss Justine Springer (later Mrs. Rice), Miss Theo Adamson, Mr. James Gillies, Mr. William Johnstone (president) Mr. Robert Campbell, Mr. J. Gordon Sinclair, Mr. C. Lionel Gibbs, Professor W. Arthur Adam, Mr. William M. Kitchener (vice-president), Mr. Fred M. Kitchener, Dr. H. E. Bulyea, Mr. A.C. Macauley and Mr. J. Davenall Turner.9

They selected 14 charter members: Miss Berangere Mercier, Miss Justine Springer (later Mrs. Rice), Miss Theo Adamson, Mr. James Gillies, Mr. William Johnstone (president) Mr. Robert Campbell, Mr. J. Gordon Sinclair, Mr. C. Lionel Gibbs, Professor W. Arthur Adam, Mr. William M. Kitchener (vice-president), Mr. Fred M. Kitchener, Dr. H. E. Bulyea, Mr. A.C. Macauley and Mr. J. Davenall Turner.9

Our History

Officially established in 1921 with fourteen Charter Members, the Edmonton Art Club ("EAC”) is the oldest continuing art organization in Alberta.  It has been instrumental in helping to lay the foundation for the development of the visual arts in our province.


In 1923, the art section of the local Council of Women approached the Edmonton Art Club with a plan to develop a permanent collection of art for the city.  Through their cooperative efforts and the Art Association, the Edmonton Museum of Art (renamed the Edmonton Art Gallery in 1956) was founded. Our contribution was recognized in the development of the Art Gallery of Alberta (“AGA”).


The relationship between the EAC and the Art Gallery of Alberta is embedded in our history, with the EAC being active partners in the establishment of the Edmonton Museum of Art in 1924, renamed the Edmonton Art Gallery in 1956.  The Edmonton Art Club contributed one of the first paintings, a work by Alban Cartmell entitled ‘Prairie Trails’, to the Museum’s permanent collection and continued to support the Museum by donating works of art and by contributing funds and instructors for the Gallery’s art classes.

Exhibitions were another important Club undertaking. An annual exhibition of member's art was held each spring . The first was held in the Board of Trade Rooms in the MacLeod Building from April 12 to 15, 1922. Mayor Duggan officiated at the opening, and newspaper reviews were generally positive. By 1924 the Edmonton Museum of Art was established , and the Art Club contributed works to the first exhibition. 

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
The Club
eac%20logo_edited.jpg
  • Facebook
  • YouTube